Sunday, May 22, 2011

Solo clean up 4

The day after the end of the world... I cleaned the beach while my children played in the ocean with their amazing Dad. I felt fine picking up the hundreds of cigarette butts as I heard my children laughing in the distance. What I wasn't ok with was just sitting on the beach. Once I stopped cleaning up all the litter I could possibly pick up I jumped in the ocean with my boys then walked to my towel to sit and sink into deep thought. Thoughts of why is this so difficult for people to understand? It's trash and it doesn't belong in nature. I'm pretty sure almost every person on the beach saw me. I mean you can't help but notice the elephant in the room? (not me) but the fact that ONE person was picking up trash on a Sunday morning while a hundred others ignored me! No one offered to help, sadly not even my own family. So this makes me wonder WHY do I do this? Maybe one day there will be one more just like me on the beach and  maybe that someone will help me fight this battle.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry... you're not alone. I'm doing the same thing at my beach :) The longer you do the clean ups and the more you talk about doing them... you'll find so many others who are doing the same thing.

    Check out:
    http://thedailyocean.blogspot.com Sara is doing 365 non-consecutive beach clean ups.

    http://theflotsamdiaries.blogspot.com Harry cleans his local beach in Maine (and documents everything)

    Two Hands Project on Facebook. People from all over the world post photos of what they've cleaned up from their local beach, park, street... you name it.

    Feeling alone in your beach clean up endeavors sucks... and it helps when you can connect to the people all over the world who are doing the same thing. (If you go to my profile...check out the blogs I follow for many more litter picker uppers ;) )

    I could answer your question for you, but I have a feeling that you already have the answer ;)

    Oh... and... am I the only one that didn't know about all this end of the world mumbo jumbo?!? haha

    Have a great week... and thank you for making the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete